Seven things to do before travelling outside of Canada.
With all the work you’ve put into planning and booking your trip, it’s bound to be a first-class experience! You’ve got a packing list that includes everything you need—even a first aid kit. Another list you may want to review, if you don’t have one already made, is an “action items” checklist, which has things to complete before you leave for destination. You may want to do the following:
- Check your passport and make sure it’s valid for at least 3-6 months beyond the date you expect to return to Canada. Passport validity requirements vary between countries, so review the Government of Canada/Travel Advice and Advisories website just in case.
- Check travel advisories from the Global Affairs Canada website to see if your destination may be affected by weather, health issue or natural disaster.
- Check with your cell phone provider about internal data and phone plans to avoid a surprise on your bill when you return.
- Look up international dialing codes. It can sometimes be tricky to make calls from outside of North America, so knowing the code will help.
- Notify your bank and credit card company that you’ll be travelling.
- Check your flight itinerary with your airline to ensure there are no changes or delays.
- Make sure you have travel insurance and that you understand your coverage.
If you have any questions about your travel insurance, call your provider. They will help you understand your coverage and if you have enough.
As a CAA-owned company, Orion Travel Insurance is available through our partnerships with CAA Clubs. Learn more here.