Selling a Used Car

What should you know about selling a vehicle? CAA provides you with all the information you need when it comes to selling a vehicle.

Selling a Used vehicle

CAA provides you with valuable information when it comes to selling a used vehicle. Consult the following information on your rights and responsibilities, and ensure you make a fair and economical transaction.

What's required

Used Vehicle Information Package Under Ontario law, private sellers of most motor vehicles must provide buyers with a Used Vehicle Information Package (UVIP). The UVIP costs $20 and is available from all Ministry of Transportation Driver and Vehicle Licence Issuing Offices.

This package contains:

  • Vehicle registration history in Ontario
  • Vehicle lien information (i.e. whether there were any outstanding debts on the vehicle in Ontario up until two business days before the seller bought the UVIP)
  • Average wholesale value on which the minimum tax owed is based and other information dealing with vehicle safety standards
  • Retail sales tax and forms for an affidavit
  • Bill of sale

Safety Standards Certificate and Emissions Test While it is not necessary to have a Safety Standards Certificate and Drive Clean Test report that shows that the vehicle has passed the emission test, it helps to speed up the selling process if these two documents are available.

  • If the vehicle is sold "as is" then it is the buyer's responsibility to have the safety and emission tested completed.